One of my favorite Chinese dishes of all time is Mongolian beef. There are only a few restaurants I’ll order it from, though, and P.F. Chang’s makes my absolute favorite version of it. I recently decided to purchase the necessary ingredients to make it myself and just go for it. It turned out pretty darn amazing, if I do say so myself. Here’s the recipe!
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- ½ soy sauce [I use low sodium soy sauce]
- ½ water
- ¾ brown sugar
- 1¾ vegetable oil [for frying]
- 1 lb. flank steak
- ¼ cornstarch
- 2 green onions, diced
- Make the sauce by heating 2 tsp. of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over med/low heat.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the pan. Then add the soy sauce and water before the garlic burns.
- Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then
raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or
until the sauce thickens.
- Remove it from the heat.
- Slice the flank steak into bite sized pieces
- Place steak pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef.
- Let the beef sit for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.
- As the beef sits, heat up one cup of oil in a
wok or skillet [as long as it’s large enough to fry the steak].
- Heat the oil over medium heat until it’s nice and hot, but not smoking.
- Add the beef to the oil and sauté for two minutes, or until the beef just begins to darken on the edges.
- Stir the meat around a little so that it cooks evenly.
- After a couple minutes, use a large slotted
spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels, then pour the oil out
of the wok or skillet.
- Put the pan back over the heat, dump the meat back into it and simmer for one minute.
- Add the sauce, cook for one minute while stirring, then add all the green onions.
- Cook for one more minute, then remove the beef and onions with tongs or a slotted spoon to a serving plate.
- Leave the excess sauce behind in the pan.
This recipe was much easier to make than I expected. Try it out and let me know what you think!